Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Special: Home Made Soft Pretzels

I have loved soft pretzels for as long as I can remember. I used to get really excited when I was younger and we would go to one of those big wholesale warehouses (I think back then we had Pace and then Sam's Club and THEN BJ's) and cash out. I would keep my gaze fixated on the magical wheel of giant pretzels. We would buy the frozen ones you can heat in the microwave, but they aren't really much to speak of. Then when I was a teenager I would go to the good old Belknap "mall" and hit up the pretzel place there. Even better than that, I worked at the bookstore in that mall for a while and would get either pretzels or pretzel sandwiches there and then I would be able to have pretzels AND be in a bookstore. It was THE best. Yup. Now however, I don't come across too many opportunities to eat giant soft pretzels. I rarely make it down to any of the larger malls and the one in the Belknap Mall is long gone. A few weeks ago I had quite the craving for one, but decided against trying to choke down one of those microwave ones. Instead, I found a recipe in my bread maker book and gave it a whirl. Emma and I had a blast making these (even when I played "Roll Out" by Ludacris as we rolled the dough, which my daughter pointed out was a horribly inappropriate song, worsened by my impressive dance moves - it rocked, and questionable lyrics aside, the song kicks butt). They were delicious and far better than many I have had. I think next time I might make some rolls so I can use them for sandwiches! pretz4 pretz1 pretz5 It is comforting to know I am not the only one mesmerized by the bread maker :) pretz2 pretz8 pretz7 pretz6 pretz9 pretz10

No comments:

Post a Comment